Thursday, August 15, 2013

Vanity Weigh Loss vs. Lifestyle Change

So I've been very susceptible lately to dieting ads since I am in the middle of a very strict diet. Last night Tony Horton was on Dr. Oz stating that vanity dieting, or dieting for an event or specific time will not provide lasting results because the behaviour that caused the weight to go up will inevitably return without a lifestyle change.  This is really resonating with me.

I guess you could call some of my goals vain because I do want to look good for a specific event, Hoopcamp. And I will be making a promo video which will, ideally, be on the internet forever and I will be unable to ask him/her to delete it because I feel bad about the way I look.

But I also want a smaller body to do things I never could before, like pull ups or climb a tree. I don't just want to be smaller, I want to be a powerhouse, a source of strong inner light. I can already feel myself getting out of my shell as the pounds melt away. On Day 5 and down 5 pounds!

I was only concerned with getting rid of my baby weight before, not with having lasting results. I didn't regain all my weight from last time. I  fell 5 lb. shy of a total regain, so I guess there was some lasting effects. But I did not weigh myself everyday looking to see if I gained a pound. I did not want to do that! I didn't want my girls to see me standing on the scale everyday because I don't want it to be a big deal for them. They are at a very impressionable age!

I am just going to tell them from now on that Mommy can't eat that because I only eat really healthy food. Zora opted out of the peach cobbler I made for daddy and the girls to have my steamed apple with cinnamon. She claimed it tasted better but I know she really just wants to eat what I eat.

So now today when I go shopping I will only be buying the whole foods. I am craving steak so tonight I'll have myself a nice 3 oz. serving with a spinach salad. I like making foods that we all can eat rather than making food for them that I won't eat because then Zora won't eat it either. I want to make a meal plan too, like a plan for the following week before it gets here!

I'm looking forward to another 5 lost by Tuesday, let's see if I can do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment